Thursday, November 4

my autobiography~

"My name is Marlysa Helda Rosly, and I was born on 18 February, 1984 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I was brought up in Langkawi, an exquisite island in the north of Malaysia. Ours is a family of six, made up of my mother, father, two sisters and a brother. The schooling years of my life were toughest, as I was selected to further my study in a boarding school since the early age of 13. I received my secondary education at MRSM Gerik, Perak from the year 1997 till 1999 and have completed the big examination of SPM in the year of 2001 at MRSM Beseri, Perlis, and the prestigious school professed a strong educational and ethical philosophy that has remained with me throughout my life. I attended International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) as a Bachelor Science in Architectural Studies student for three years studies. Being an architectural student has really broadened up my thought about how the environment design can help to harmonize the world. I believe creative and history are very important in creating a splendid environment in design. Malay traditional elements have really influenced me in doing my design. I sturdily believe, by preserving and implementing our culture and heritage, they will give the strongest impact towards our environment.

My career in architecture began smoothly and I was more than happy to grab the right opportunity for which I was waiting so long. As a 2007 graduate, I have about 2 years working experiences in architectural and construction field and almost 2 years working as an ICT coordinator. Working as an architectural- civil assistant, and 3D designer at JB Project Management gives me a brand new experiences in exploring the architecture world. Most of the projects were located at Holland, Morocco and Langkawi. For civil construction job, I have to prepare concrete and reinforcement drawings of drainage, tunnel, floor slab and so on. While for 3D and architectural projects, most of them involved interior design of a condominium, bungalows, spas and resort. Most memorable project I have handle is doing a renovation drawing plan for Bonton Resort at Pantai Chenang, Langkawi. The renovation involved old Malay houses which have been transferred from Perak, Kedah, Johor and Terengganu to Langkawi. For me, by preserving an old element of the building is an enjoyable and challenging work for the designer. Besides, things happen with a reason. So, why do we have to demolish the astonishing existed element of the building?

my rendering project using 3D Max

The year of 2007 was a tremendous point in my life as a student as I had an opportunity to visit Cairo, Egypt for my references studies under the Heritage Studies coursework. There, my course mates and I successfully did a measured drawing of 600 years old mosque, Alt-Tinbugha Al-Maridani Cairo with cooperation from RTM, one of Malaysia’s broad casting television. Words alone cannot describe how amaze I am with their preserved heritages. The mosques, houses and walk able area are all very awesome which captured my attention. I can conclude that, their strongest identities of architecture features are the calligraphies, space orientation, carving features and construction’s materials. Masjid Alt-Tinbugha Al-Maridani which was built in 1340 was highly shaped by Mamluk style with recessed crowned and stalactites including double arches window gives me countless inspiration of what architecture could be to create such an impressive lifestyle.



Highly cosmopolitan and diverse population which includes Chinese, Malays, Indians, Eurasians, Caucasians and Asians from different origins makes me wonder about the architecture in Singapore. Did their buildings really based on modern concept with the combinations of their multiracial populace? Surprisingly, being there, I can see they still manage to conserve the buildings and areas of historic value like Fullerton Hotel and Bugis Street which have turned into something useful and attracting to the visitors. It’s really inspiring me that the combination of old and new can create something beneficial towards the generations and environment. But still, Malaysia is not lacking in preserving the historical building and area. For example, a fascinating combination of the East and West, Penang embraces modernity while retaining its traditions and old world charm. These are reflected in its harmonious multiracial populace and well-preserved heritage buildings which led to George Town being rewarded as one of UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site recently. During my studies, I have been to Kapitan Keling Masjid, George Town which is the first superintendent of the mosque in Penang, as for my site visit, and I just realize that we still have a place that remains its historical elements and values. The original mosque structure was a single-storey rectangular building with a sloping roof on all sides and surrounded by a stone bench. It was surrounded by shop houses, with access through a narrow gateway. I strongly suggest for Malaysian who want to know deeply about our country historical area to visit Penang especially Campbell Street Market, Little India, Khoo Kongsi Temple and lots more. It’s really amazing how the buildings are still well-preserved in this modern era with the fully tiles walkway to create a walk able area from Campbell Street Market to Buckingham Road.


I deem tradition and modern could merge very well in order to create a harmonious environment for our generations. Being respected by the world because of our modern-heritage architecture really is my biggest dream as someone who has basis in architectural studies. We have our very own architecture identity like Malay traditional houses and carving decorations which we should be proud of. If the foreigners fall in love with our heritage, why must us as a designer trying hard to imitate other country’s identity and implementing it in the design as if it is a brand new concept? Our heritage is beautiful as it is and we just need to blend it with the new environment and that is our challenge."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

::smile:::